Building over or near clean water pipes

Last reviewed:

Understanding pipe ownership

Homeowners are responsible for water pipes that run within the property boundary. This is called the supply pipe.

[Diagram - TBC]

Do I need permission to build over or near to a clean water pipe?

If the works are within your boundary, you don’t need permission from us. The supply pipe and any water fittings along the length of this pipe, such as stop-taps, are the property owner’s responsibility to maintain. So it’s their choice if they wish to build over or near.

It is advisable to divert pipework around any proposed buildings or extensions. If this is not possible, you should duct any pipes and fittings under the building so they remain accessible for repairs.

If the works are outside of your boundary, click here.

Working near our pipes