- If you start laying your foundations before we have issued approval, additional charges may occur.
- For sewers with a diameter above 375mm we may need to carry out additional surveys, which could delay the approval. You can find more information in process overview for sewers larger than 375mm.
Building over or within three metres of a public sewer
1. You submit application
You can submit your application online:Apply here
If you're applying for an approved build over agreement, in addition to contact information you'll need to provide the following:
- A drawing showing the cross-sectional foundation plan, including clearance distances and size of the sewer being built over.
- A drawing showing the location of the sewer relative to the existing property and proposed work.
- A copy of the drawings submitted for Building Regulations approval.
- Credit or debit card details, in order to pay the required deposit and charges.
2. We review application
We’ll carry out a technical assessment of your application within 21 calendar days. We’ll request further information and work with you to achieve approval if we can‘t approve your application at this time.
Most build overs don‘t need a CCTV survey, so we'll issue approval immediately. But if your sewer is non-domestic or over 160mm (6") in diameter, once we‘ve agreed your design we’ll order a pre-construction CCTV survey.
In certain circumstances it’s not possible to approve your application. In this case we'll issue a full refund.
3. You start work
If we issue you with a self-certified build over agreement, we're happy for you to start work immediately - as long as you carry out the work in exactly the way you‘ve described in answering our questionnaire.
If you've received a build over agreement for a domestic sewer no more than 160mm (6") in diameter, you can go ahead with the approved works. However, if the sewer is non-domestic and/or over 160mm in diameter, we'll only send you confirmation of approval once we've carried out a pre-construction CCTV survey. You may then carry out the approved works.
For sewers that are over 160mm in diameter, you’ll need to advise us once your building works are completed.
4. We issue approval
For approved build over applications, if the sewer is over 160mm (6") in diameter, we'll order a post-construction CCTV survey, to check the condition of the sewer. We'll review the CCTV survey footage before issuing approval.
For details on how we’ll use the information you provide in your application, click here.