Building over or near clean water pipes

Last reviewed:

Understanding pipe ownership

Homeowners are responsible for water pipes that run within their property boundary. These are called supply pipes.

Do I need permission to build over or near to a clean water pipe?

If the works are within your boundary, you might not need permission from us. The supply pipe and any water fittings along the length of this pipe, such as stop-taps, are the property owner’s responsibility to maintain. So it’s their choice if they wish to build over or near.

However, some pipes on private land may be distribution mains which serve more than one property. If you are in any doubt, please contact us and ask for our Mains team.

It's advisable to divert pipework around any proposed buildings or extensions. If this isn't possible, you should duct any pipes and fittings under the building so they remain accessible for repairs.

If any of the works are outside your boundary, please click below.

Working near our pipes