Help and advice

Last reviewed:

All you need to know to disconnect a water supply as part of renovation, demolition or extension work.

Whether you're renovating a property or planning to build a new one, you may want to disconnect the existing water supply.
Here's the information you will need. 

What's a disconnection?

If you no longer require the water supply for your property we can arrange for it to be disconnected. This would be necessary, for example, if you’re demolishing a property or converting multiple properties into one.

We’ll remove the point connecting you to our water main, which is usually within the road. You’ll need a plumber to remove the pipework within your property boundary.

If you’re unsure a disconnection is required, please contact us.

Getting you disconnected

In addition to contact information we’ll need the following:    

  • The address of where you’d like the disconnection   
  • Details of the supply you want disconnected   
  • A site location plan   

Apply to disconnect

We'll disconnect for free – but if you ever need the water supply again, you’ll need to pay for it to be installed.

If you're a commercial customer you can also call us on 0800 316 9800 or contact your retailer to carry this out.

If you're a domestic customer you can contact us on 0800 009 3921.

Within seven calendar days of submitting the application, we’ll call you to arrange a ‘mark-up’ appointment, to locate the supply and identify any traffic management needs. We aim to attend within 14 days of talking with you.

Once the mark-up has been carried out, we aim to carry out the disconnection within 21 days. However, in many cases traffic management is required by local authorities and other bodies responsible for roads and traffic. This restricts the way in which we can work - for instance by limiting our hours or requiring road closures, which involves a notice period.

Whilst we work with the various authorities to deliver the work as efficiently as possible, disconnections often take longer than 21 days.