New or replacement water connection

If you’re considering a new or replacement water connection, this section aims to guide you on which might better suit your needs. You’ll also find advice on water pressure and flow, appliances and lead pipework

Please note, if you're connecting a non-household property, you'll need to appoint a retailer for the site. More information can be found in our News and Improvements section.

Before you apply - understand your needs

A new or replacement water connection is when the pipework between your internal stop valve and our water main – usually within the road – is installed or replaced. If you’re unsure which you need, we’re here to help.

Open these dropdowns to find out more.

You’ll need to apply for a new water connection. For more information on the process, visit how to get a quote for a water connection.

Please note, manifold connections can be installed to reduce the need for multiple connections, Using these can be cheaper than multiple individual connections. They’re only suitable where there’s enough space for the larger chamber and where all customer-side service pipes are laid out to the same point

Please note that manifolds can only accommodate connections with a 25mm external (20mm internal) diameter.

The difference between water pressure and water flow can cause confusion. It’s important to understand the difference so you can work out how to resolve the issue. Please read our dropdowns below - 'Understanding water pressure' and 'Understanding water flow'.

Water pressure can vary throughout the day. Usage during busy periods may reduce water pressure in our network. Your neighbours should have the same water pressure at the property boundary as you, provided your homes are of similar height and equal distance from our water main. Your water flow is individual to your property and may differ from your neighbours’ because of the number and type of appliances as well as condition of pipework.

The water pressure to your property will be affected by:

  • The height of your home in relation to our water main
  • How close you live to one of our pumps
  • How much water is being used by other customers on the same supply

We're legally required to supply a minimum water pressure value of one bar to your boundary stop. For more information on what to do if you have low water pressure, watch our video guide.

Watch our how to guide

The size of your water pipes may be restricting the flow to your taps. You can only get a certain volume of water through a small pipe, and if you’re using multiple appliances at once there may not be enough water for them to work at full capacity.

The maximum amount of water your pipes can carry will be affected by:

  • The size of your water supply
  • Problems with internal plumbing, such as corrosion or a leak
  • Whether or not you’re on a shared supply with other properties
  • The demand for water in your home at a particular time

If you’re experiencing low water flow, a larger connection may increase it. You can apply for a new water connection and receive an instant quote online.

For more information, visit how to get a quote for a water connection.

For further help and advice please contact us.

Historically, shared water supplies allowed enough water for each household. Over the years, demand has increased due to modern appliances like power showers and dishwashers.

If you share a supply with one or more neighbours, you may experience low flow when water is being used in all of the homes at the same time. And you might find you can’t turn off your supply without theirs also being turned off.

To separate your clean water pipework from your neighbour’s you’ll need to apply for a new water connection. For more information about what needs doing and how much it might cost, visit how to get a quote for a water connection.

If you’re installing new appliances or heating systems, you’ll need to make sure there’s enough flow for them to operate effectively (see 'Understanding water flow' above). To increase the flow to your property, you can install a larger connection or, if you share your supply with a neighbour, get a separate water connection.

For more information, visit how to get a quote for a water connection.

If you currently have lead pipework and plan to replace it, it’s important to understand your responsibilities and the different services we can offer. The process you follow depends on the where the pipework is located:

Replacing lead within the property boundary only

You might want to only replace the pipework between the outside stop valve (usually in the footpath) and internal stop valve (within the building). If so, we’ll need to reconnect you to the outside stop valve after your plumber has replaced the lead pipework.

To arrange the reconnection of the pipework, call us on 0800 316 9800 (option 1).

Replacing lead within the property boundary and road/footpath

If you want to replace lead pipework in the road/footpath, as well as that within your boundary, we’ll have to carry out this work. This will involve us quoting for digging the road/footpath and relaying your supply.

How to get a quote for a water connection

Lead replacement scheme

We can arrange to test the levels of lead in your water. If we find a significant level of lead, we’ll replace any lead piping that belongs to us free of charge.

For more information, please contact us